Friday, October 15, 2010

CABIN










I realize I've left this page to collect dust as I reassess my life from my cabin on the hill. Recently, I've also been made aware that there are real-life people who actually read this blog. I know this, because they have seen me at shows or passed me on the street and have inquired as to when I'll grab the Pledge and a paper towel and dust 'er off again.

Since I last logged on to blogger I've been busy getting my head straight, rather than dusting. I moved into a small cabin in Manitou Springs, CO. I've been able to pay rent thanks to my job as a freelance field-technician for a growing company out of Ohio who sends me all over America to install, download and upload various things for TJ Maxx and Marshalls (it is for this job that I leave for Portland, Oregon tomorrow for the third time this year - although there are no shows scheduled, if you decide to pop into an open-mic in the area, you may see me).

When the mid-west tour was cancelled I felt rather deflated and defeated. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't keep doing what I was doing to myself. I tried to blame it on age; "man, if I was only 22 instead of 32, I could sleep in my small car for another 6 weeks". I tried to blame it on the economy: "I don't mind not making money, but I do mind creating debt while constantly working my tail off." These things were both true, but there was a third, overwhelming and frightening voice inside my head that was saying "I just don't want to."

Don't want to? This is what I've been waiting for my whole life! A chance to throw everything I have at the endeavor. What do I mean, "I don't want to?"

The voice was loud and it would not quiet down until I gave it it's proper respect. "No, I don't want to". No, I don't want to live this way for the next 5 years so that I can make a decent wage living this way for the rest of my life. No, I don't want to live on the road. Then, more voices - what am I running from in Vermont? In Washington? In Nebraska? What am I looking for in Oregon, California, Massachusetts?

I always dreamed of opening up for certain acts. "Michael Penn, man it'd be awesome to open up for him." "Martin Sexton - oh man, could you imagine?" It wasn't because I adore these guys as solo singer-songwriters (I do), or because I wished to shake their hands or see their show for free. All I wanted was to share the same spotlight as those guys. I wanted to share the bill with them. I wanted my talent to considered along with theirs, whether my talent deserves to be considered at that level or not. I wanted acceptance from their fans. I wanted validation for the years and years of smokey bars, bloody fingers and damaged vocal chords. Out of the coffee shops and into the streets! I had tastes of it in opening for "Blessid Union of Souls" and Tim Reynolds - fleeting tastes of "I could be a somebody", fleeting tastes of acceptance.

I realized acceptance isn't out there, it's in here (author pointing to chest in a dramatic fashion). That's why musicians who are seeking what I've been seeking through music get that "acceptance" as they're playing sold-out arenas... then develop massive drug addictions and/or kill themselves. It's never enough. You have to accept yourself for who you are, for what you bring to the table of life. That's what I'm doing from my cabin.

I was always quite fond of a Joni Mitchell line from the song "River"... "I'm gonna make a lot of money, then I'm gonna quit this crazy scene." I ALWAYS loved that idea, even in the midst of my recent quest! I don't know that I ever really wanted to tour the country for the rest of my life. I think I would have been fine (and would still be quite happy) with selling "Bijou Bridge" to Campbells soup for a few million dollars and retire - which, to me, looks like making more albums, playing regionally and spending most of my remaining time on earth with a new family nucleus, friends, and my ever-growing collection of sports and music memorabilia.

Anyway, I'm doing great! Man, I can go on, can't I? In summation, if I accept myself I don't need anyone else's validation. Now, once I do that, is there a desire to tour the country and go into debt trying to beat people over the head with my music? The answer to that is a simple and sane "no". I don't need a fan base in Portland, or Watsonville, or anywhere to feel acceptance or validation.

There are thoughts for a make-up tour of the mid-west come spring 2011. Just thoughts. I'm putting together new songs and revamping (or correcting?) old tunes I wrote 10, 12 years ago and discarded. The solo shows are making way for a new project, as Lindsay Weidmann and I are forming a duo. We haven't named ourselves yet, but you can see us February 17th at The Studio Bee in Colorado Springs... it will be our first official show as a duo (our 64th un-official show). Hell, we may even release an album together. I may return to school to study music, as I have no formal musical training whatsoever and wonder what I might be capable of as an artist if I had a clue as to just what I'm doing. That really excites me.

In the meantime, keep an eye on www.jeremyfacknitz.com for updates, shows, and pictures of my face.

I hope you are well.

Love,
Facker

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! I HAVE been wondering what you were up to and where you are headed. Love yourself and the rest just may fall into place. It'll do something. And no matter what happens next, if you love yourself you're in a better place to work with it!

    I'll definitely look for you and Lindsay. That's a duo worth paying money to see!
    Dena Rosenberry, Manitou Springs

    ReplyDelete