Thursday, July 1, 2010

WEST COAST TOUR VERSION 2.0 WITH LINDSAY WEIDMANN - Saturday, 6/25 - HONORING DAY, FLOYD'S COFFEE IN PORTLAND, OREGON












Today would have been my wedding day.

I was engaged to be married and it fell through. It's no big deal. It happens.

I'm glad it fell through sooner than later. Nobody had to take back tuxedo's or cancel flights and, what would have been worse yet, nobody left anyone at the altar on front of 150 friends and family members.

But a date was planned, and it was June 26th, 2010. Matchbooks were made up as party favors. Gifts were purchased for the wedding party. The chapel and reception location were booked. Somewhere online, I believe there is still a weddingchannel page for us, but I don't posses the password required to dispose of it.

We broke up 7 months ago, and while we had many a good time together, it was past due and my life since then has gone through a Renaissance of sorts. Without divulging what's too personal for this blog, I will say that I'm apparently more "over it" than my family. I will say that I'm so thankful and honestly happy to be here in Oregon on June 26th, 2010. I will also say that the biggest issue I've had with the relationship and its demise has been my roll in it, because when it comes right down to it, all we can change is ourselves and our own behaviors and even this is a tremendous task.

Lindsay's proving to be a stellar tour partner. My sweet, dear friend blessed me with gifts this morning - a toy dog that sings "Singing in The Rain", inspired by the movie we rented recently in Crescent City, CA (we've named him Gene); an angel for the dash board of our tour "bus"; and a ring with a big fat J on it which led to a small ceremony in which I married... myself. Lindsay dubbed it "Honoring Day". It was a good Honoring Day today. The best ever.

I feel an extreme amount of gratitude and contentment to be in Oregon with my friend Weidmann, playing shows and living my life for one person and one person only, my new wife... ME. At times, part of me feels as though I have gotten away with something. I feel special, in that so few people get to look at their wedding day that's not happening from 7 months and 1,000 miles removed and actually celebrate it.

Thanks Lindsay, thank you to me.

Thanks also my ex. I toast you today as well.

We played a show at Floyd's Coffee in Portland with Jonathan Brinkley and Hans Barklis, a songwriters in the round show which was a great deal of fun. So was the walk in the rose garden afterwards with Jonathan and his roommates. I look forward to Honoring Day, 2011 already.

1 comment: