Tuesday, June 22, 2010

WEST COAST TOUR #2 WITH LINDSAY WEIDMANN - 6/17 and 6/18 - THURSDAY'S CANCELLED SHOW, FRIDAY AT ZELDA'S!









We left the hot springs and headed back east 40 minutes or so to Reno for our show at 4th Street. Upon our arrival to the major metropolis, Lindsay noticed she had received a phone call from the venue. The owner said that the local opener had backed out, and typically people don't come to this place unless you can pull a draw in Reno, as it is primarily a music venue. He suggested we call the whole thing off.

If we weren't looking at throwing down $60 for a hotel room in Reno that night, we might have done the show anyway - rolled the dice and gone for it - but we've been doing this long enough to heed such advice from venue owners. We called back, cancelled the gig and headed back west... this time with the intention of driving all the way to Lindsay's old friend Gersh's house in Santa Cruz, California.

I wasn't prepared for this. Typically, I like to know when I'm about to sit in a car for 6 hours. I mentally prepare myself, do some half-assed yoga and get to it. No matter, really. It was a beautiful evening. We stopped along the way to treat ourselves. Lindsay purchased fruit, I a chocolate milkshake from Burger King.

Gersh housed us Thursday night and walked us up and down the boardwalk Friday morning. Thanks to Gersh.

Friday night we played Zelda's On The Beach, my second time go-round (I played there in March with Teresa). Zelda's is a restaurant/bar on... wait for it... the beach. It seems that typically, at Zelda's, we start off the show in front of a packed dinner crowd. A few stay, a few leave - those who stay tend to get pretty drunk and enjoy the hell out of you. This scenario suits me just fine. After years and years of playing the bar scene in the mid-west, this is my element. This is where I thrive.

We sold CD's, we made the most money we've made all tour up until now. A man named Ryan came up and gave us $10 to play "Brown Eyed Girl" so he could sing it. That's lunch man. Hell yes I gave him his "Brown Eyed Girl" and I even sang back-ups for him. After the show, he joined us on the patio and the two of us sang the theme song to "Punky Brewster" as Lindsay looked on in confused horror.

A night at Kathy's guest house in Watsonville closed the best day of the tour thusfar (in this author's humble opinion). Thank you Kathy, Ernie and kids for your hospitality and for showing us the secret tree.

Also BIG thanks to Eddie and Zelda's. My favorite bar in California!

No comments:

Post a Comment