Friday, June 25, 2010

WEST COAST TOUR #2 w/LINDSAY WEIDMANN - Monday, 6/21 through Thursday, 6/24 - FOLKIN' IT UP FOR ASHLAND, OREGON












MONDAY, 6/21 - LIQUID ASSETS

After a swell meal and even "sweller" night's sleep in Crescent City, California Sunday night, we packed up our guitars along with the remnants of our fatigue and made our way to the beautiful state of Oregon. We stopped along the way for ice cream. Chocolate. My diet on this tour has run the gamete. I have good-boy days where I'll consume veggies and fruit, and bad-boy days where I'll live off of milk shakes and gas station donuts. It's not always easy to eat well on a budget with no fridge as well as the overwhelming temptation to eat crap looming everywhere. Either way, I'm still here, still folking and I'm not hungry, so I applaud myself. Clap clap clap clap clap...

Tonight, Liquid Assets (thanks Olivia!). My second time performing at this wonderful wine cafe in downtown Ashland. It seemed as though the most attentive of audience members were also members of Olivia's family (thanks Olivia X2!) as they tapped their tables, chairs and toes to our Monday night sounds.

We took advantage of free wine. The Merlot is most excellent. It has good legs and a hint of chocolate.

TUESDAY, 6/22 - DAY OFF

Kara Rosengren is my sister. She runs a non-profit dance company known as "Against The Grain" (www.againstthegraindance.org). She's quite gifted. She has also had the fortune of landing a good husband in my brother-in-law Ken, who is a pilot for Delta. Sissy (as I call her) can fly for free pretty much anywhere she wants to go, so she decided to come see big brother in Ashland.

Unfortunately, she must fly stand-by, which can be tough when you're traveling with kids out of school and your destination is the tiny airport of neighboring Medford, Oregon. It took her 20 hours, but she arrived to the Roadway Inn as bright, sweet, chipper and effervescent as ever! That's my Sissy!

She took real good care of us, and I can't thank her enough for her support in my endeavors.

While she was fighting her way across the country from Chicago, Lindsay and I worked... booked shows, blogged a bit, played guitar. Lindsay is now joining me on "Vaguely Alamosa" and "Better Than Us" and improving the live delivery of these nuggets immensely.

WEDNESDAY, 6/23 - TEASE

I love window shopping. I'm rarely tempted to buy things I don't need or can't afford. For this, I am thankful. Sissy and I walked around Ashland during the day sipping coffee, munching on Cinnamon rolls and talking about Jarod Facknitz behind his back while Lindsay toiled away on the laptop. Lindsay's a go-getter. I felt a twinge of guilt but I'll get back to "me" come Friday. I welcome my sister's visit and shall use it as a valid excuse to turn into tourist for a few days.

Thanks to Julie who booked us, and Allan who volunteered to take money at the door. Tease is a new business here in Ashland... rather posh but without pretentiousness. Me and my clothing ensemble of faded jeans/cowboy shirt felt quite at ease inside of Tease.

We put on a great show. We know this because we have proof; Sissy attended and filmed a few songs for us, some of which I'd love to post on blogger but I don't have the 67 years it takes to download a video on blogger. What's that? Will they be on Youtube soon? Hopefully. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your interest!

THURSDAY, 6/24

This day will live in infamy.

Although I'm still getting to know her, I'm sure Lindsay Weidmann has made many discoveries throughout her life. But I trust they pale in comparison (in my mind, anyway) to the discovery she made as the sun hit the side of my face just right on Thursday, June 24th 2010 at 7:23pm pacific standard time and brought to light another reminder that I am not a child, nor will I live forever.

An ear hair.

I have a hair growing out of my ear.

This is not a big deal. Just as everything poops, everything also grows old, grows hair in odd places and dies.

My initial reaction was disgust. Followed by panic, then sadness, then acceptance. This all happened within about 37 seconds, but I felt this is something you, dear reader, would find interesting.

We performed for a few lucky patrons and the beautiful staff at Culture Works in Ashland, Oregon. Chris was kind enough to feed us with sandwiches and salads.

I love Ashland. I love the people here, and the way I'm received and welcomed as a performing artist. I will return, probably sooner than later.

I just hope I get over the whole "this is where I discovered my first ear-hair" thing.

To hear all this from Lindsay's point of view, and expose yourself to a higher quality of writing, visit www.lindsayweidmann.blogspot.com!

ALSO! ORDER JEREMY'S SOLD OUT CD "GIMMICK" (just a few copies left!) OR DOWNLOAD THE ALBUM AT www.cdbaby.com/jeremyfacknitz!

No comments:

Post a Comment