Monday, May 10, 2010

NORTHEAST TOUR DAY 9 - 5/9 - Inquiring Minds Bookstore - Saugerties, New York

Teresa had a ton of day job work to do and wanted to spend some time with her brother. We were looking at a 2.5 hour drive one way to Saugerties for a tips-only gig on a Mother's Day afternoon. Not exactly a sure thing. Of course, when I booked it, I forgot it would be Mom's Day.

She thought she'd make more money doing day job work and I knew I'd make more money playing the gig solo. So off I flew - all by myself, like a big boy! - to Saugerties, NY.

When I started there was one person in the corner of the coffee shop with earbuds plugged into their laptop. By the end of my last song, a small yet very appreciative crowd had built up to about 14. I made a new friend in Andy, who caught my second song, stopped dead in his tracks, stayed for the whole show, purchased a signed copy of "What A Day!" and bought me dinner afterwards (thank you, Andy!). Again, I'm amazed at some of the connections I've made and continue to make on this 10 week voyage.

Andy and I talked about life, the pursuit of happiness and other Mother's Day subjects. I called my mom, who's as excited as all get-out for the house concert in Holly one week from today. I dedicated the show to her and all mommies everywhere.

Taking full advantage of rare alone time, I drove slowly back to Benson, Vermont, stopping frequently to smell the lilacs and appreciate my surroundings.

Two days off ahead. Going to write. Going to relax.

1 comment: