Thursday, May 27, 2010

THE RIDE BACK TO COLORADO - HOUSE CONCERT, FAIRFIELD IOWA - 5/20/10

See video of this performance at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxK3XRJR6mU

After a few days off to hang with bro and pseudo-cousin Rachel in Chicago (where we watched "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" and I HIGHLY recommend it to those of you who have not been "turned on"), then a night with my childhood chum in crime Matt Olinik (thanks for the steaks!), I made my way to Fairfield, Iowa.

Lisa and David hosted this house concert and it was beautiful.

Scheduled to occur outside, the weather did not cooperate so we moved it indoors.

I'm still really out of it. The days off didn't do much for my energy levels seeing as how they were spent staying up late, talking to friends. Sheila, a guest, talked to me after the first set. I love Sheila. She said "you're an amazing musician, but you look like you'd rather be somewhere else." Shit. Shit, shit, shit! I mean yeah, okay, she might be right a little but goddamn it no one's supposed to see that! I'm a pro!

I felt like I had just awakened in my 7th grade biology class with no underwear on and nothing but an apple to cover my shivering, shrunken shame. I quickly defended myself and made excuses. "No, no! I'm very happy to be here... I'm just tired... 10 weeks... futons... my voice isn't where I'd like it to be..." and so on. Sheila and I talked about how her kids wanted to do what I was doing, and I said something along the lines of "well, if they don't have a choice, they don't have a choice. You either have to do this so you do it, or you don't have to do it so you don't." That's my feeling on it, in all my "wisdom".

Sheila woke me up. My second set was far better. My show tomorrow will be far better. I think I'm going to rejoin myself and quit whining like a little princess. Thank you Sheila.

Thank you, Lisa and David for making me feel so at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment