Monday, April 19, 2010

MIDWEST TOUR DAY 8 - 4/16/10 - Drive through U.P. to Traverse City, MI - Horizon Books







Oh.

God.

I feel rugged.

Okay, yes, I may have a lot of pride. Could I ask my folks for $50 so I can stay at a Super 8? Sure. Could I pull out my credit card, slap it on a counter and get a warm bed, a shower, and a complimentary breakfast? Of course.

But my German pride won't allow me to even think of doing the first thing, and my hatred for banks and debt won't allow me to even think of doing the second thing. My belief in my ability to suck it up, or as we used to say in baseball "rub some dirt on it", keeps both of these ideas on the other side of my world.

So I left Green Bay last night around 9 central. Crossed the Michigan border and lost an hour. Drove until midnight, 1 o'clock to Escanaba, MI where I found a Super 8, parked Ruby and jumped in back for some shut-eye. Two hours later I awoke and couldn't fall back asleep. I was hungry, as the previous day I had eaten an orange, banana and a muffin. The pain wasn't intense, it was just enough to let me know it was there. I also had to pee, but it was cold in Escanaba last night. It is April, and when you find Escanaba on the map you'll realize that wow, this is north.

So I muttered a myriad of obscenities around 3:30 am eastern, climbed back into the drivers seat, got a weak gas station coffee-water and started making my way to Traverse City.

Going through the western U.P., a place I hadn't been since my youth, watching the sun slowly rise, stopping at each rest area along Lake Michigan... even in my sleep-deprived delirium, it was quite romantic. I love it up here. At one point I felt myself getting just a tad emotional about this homecoming, but that may have just been sadness over the shitty water-coffee I bought in Escanaba.

Drove over the bridge around 8 am. Filmed it... it just so happens Sufjan Stevens was in my CD player, the CD was "Michigan". I didn't plan this or stage this, it was all just happening, and timing. I don't know if this will upload or not (ugh. Video coming soon).

Got to T.C. around noon, and was so happy to see Mr. Matt Mansfield, his shower, his toilet, and his house. It was a palace because it had these three things.

Slept for a few hours and went to the radio station to promote the upcoming shows. Matt's a radio DJ.

Played a "Songwriters-In-The-Round" show with Rick Buist and Co., who were fantastic. We swapped songs for an attentive audience of about 40 or so. When I wasn't playing, I was sitting. Trying not to pass out. I stood up to play "Vaguely Alamosa" and realized I had no idea where I was, and thought that I might fall down. I then said "I'm not really here sometimes. I haven't slept. I'm sorry. Bear with me."

Despite my exhaustion and lack of energy in the voice, I sold a tour high 9 CD's. A fantastic audience. Thanks so much. Good to be home in the mitten.

Went back to Matt and Shannon's house I guess. Woke up there anyway. I honestly don't recall a thing after 9:16 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment