Thursday, April 29, 2010

MIDWEST TOUR DAYS 15 and 16 - 4/23-24/10 - Billy's Roadhouse - Pontiac, MI

Trying to put this first solo tour together on my own has been a challenge, and I'm very thankful to Matt Mansfield in Traverse City and Matt McClure in Waterford for their help. I put the fate of these last two weekends in their hands. I gave them dates and let them book it. I took off the control freak hat. I delegated. I focused on Minnesota and Green Bay and allowed them to take Michigan. They dealt with flaky venue owners, venues going out of business and last second cancellations (note this songwriter decided 7 years ago to pursue a career in performing elsewhere. See above as to why). They took on the stress while I shrugged and said "I know you'll take care of me", and they did. These are men of honor in the army of artistic expression, fighting towards our quest to not starve to death in the name of what we do.

Again, thank you Matt Mansfield and Matt McClure of Pied Cypher events.

Friday and Saturday, both nights at Billy's Roadhouse in Pontiac, MI. This place has come a long way in the last two years and I honored to have an extremely miniscule hand in that.

Billy is a class guy. Great crowds both nights. Sold 11 CD's. Gave away a ton of Jeremy fridge magnets. Saw old friends. Played "Not Home" per request of Teresa (Class of '96 Bronchos)... hadn't played it in years. Felt good, as I sang the second verse while pointing at the Wings game on TV. Sam Van Wagoner (Ken's nephew), TJ Kelly and Mike Stern all have talent coming out their ears and shared the nights with me. They kept me on my toes. I had to bring my A game.

On May 1st, the smoking ban finally goes into effect in Michigan. I missed it by one week, so I played in a fog of nicotine... this is my only complaint/regret.

Yeah I moved away, I had to... but I'll keep coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment